Thursday, February 9, 2012

What is the best golf range finder?

I golf the same ten courses for the most part in Northeast Wisconsin. Occasionally something new if I am on vacation or something. I am looking for a range finder that doesn't need a lot of set up. What would be the easiest to use at a fair price?What is the best golf range finder?Sky CaddyWhat is the best golf range finder?
I have a laser one. You can use it anywhere and no annual fees suchas with Skycaddies. Mine can be used on the flag or with the click of a button on an object. Skycaddies have to be preprogrammed for the course and not all course are available, plus in the winter any temporary greens make a Skycaddie useless. My range finder can be used off the golf course as well. A Skycaddie will not tell you how far to the pin, just front-middle-back. Plus, because the range finder of mine is more or less like binoculars, at a great distance where one is unsure if a shot landed short-on the green-or over, you can look through the finder and see the ball because of the magnification? GLWhat is the best golf range finder?a lot of smart phones have golf applications that may be purchased. My iPhone app was so good a few buddies went that direction instead of buying a skycaddy after comparing.What is the best golf range finder?
try callaway rangefinder....or try to search it at amazonWhat is the best golf range finder?the Sky CaddyWhat is the best golf range finder?
I like the sky caddie
Depends on if you want a laser or GPS type unit. I prefer the GPS devices because I like the maps. I must say one drawback is that most may be off by a yard or two but for me, I am just not that precise. However, there are lots of times when a GPS can get the distance to the hole when there is obstructions between you and the hole.

Most GPS units have course maps which allow you to see distances to not only the flag but other landmarks on the course as well. You can see how far it is to the front of a hazard or the front or back of the green. This can be valuable information in cutting off strokes and staying away from trouble. Additionally, a lot of the Golf GPS rangefinders now have scorecards and the ability to track statistics.



My favorite use of the Golf GPS Rangefinder is to use it to calibrate my distances on the range. I hit about a dozen balls with a club and get the average distances for that club. I used to think that I hit my 8 iron about 150 yards. Although fairly accurate, it really is much closer to 146 yards after marking off the distances with my GPS. It鈥檚 much more difficult to get those distances with a laser rangefinder.



Finally, there is no worries about different light conditions that can affect laser models at dawn or dusk.



The major drawback of the golf GPS rangefinder is that some of the devices need some kind of subscription or download service to get he course maps. Most subscriptions are in the range of $40 a year or as in the case of one of the devices, its $40 for 100 course downloads. 100 courses is a lot.



Most devices will hold anywhere from 5 to 100 courses in memory. If you need to exceed the max, its just a matter of offloading one map and downloading another.

No comments:

Post a Comment