Saturday, February 18, 2012

I have a hard time controlling my golf ball around bermuda greens?

I play Bridgestone e5+ and Nike Black golf balls. I can control my ball better on Bent grass but on bermuda it seems to run away. Anything suggestion would greatly be appreciate.I have a hard time controlling my golf ball around bermuda greens?Bermuda grass is much more difficult to play than a bent grass green or course. Bermuda grass is gnarly, has a heavy grass blade and root system which requires an almost perfect strike with irons and approach shots to the green and a definite grain on the putting surface. One has to play these greens in order to properly read the grain with side hill putts being a definite problem.I have a hard time controlling my golf ball around bermuda greens?
The grain of the grass is pretty important for Bermuda grass. The leaves are broader and stronger than bent grass, so if the grain is growing towards you (it'll be a dark shade of green), you'll need to give it a little extra "oomph" to get the ball the distance you need. If it's growing away from you (it'll be a light shade of green, or almost shiny) you should just make your regular swing.



It's that way for chipping and pitching, and it's very true for putting. When you putt, if you're against the grain, break isn't as important as speed. The ball will roll slower, so you'll need either to give it some more gusto, which kind of negates break- or keep everything the same but play for slightly more break. The ball will roll faster going with the grain, so keep that in mind.



"Bones" McKay, Phil Mickelson's caddy, states that he gives one read for bent greens, but two for Bermuda- one for a strong putt, another for a weak (for lack of a better word) putt. It depends on how PM is feeling. If he wants to charge the ball into the hole, the strong read with less break is used. If he wants to "die" it into the hole, the weak read is used.I have a hard time controlling my golf ball around bermuda greens?Typically on bermuda the ball is actually sitting down a bit more, requiring a precise strike. Bent greens are usually kept wetter ( especially in the south ) to prevent burning and death to the fine grass blades. Both golf balls you mentioned do not have a very high spin rate on chips, the ProV1 will spin the most on chips ( which is why I won't use it )I have a hard time controlling my golf ball around bermuda greens?
Everyone says the same thing. If you usually play on bent, you're going to have trouble on Bermuda. Period.I have a hard time controlling my golf ball around bermuda greens?on slower putts allow more break and faster putts less

No comments:

Post a Comment